THE MASTER ALGORITHM: How the Quest for the Ultimate Learning Machine Will Remake Our World
By Pedro Domingo
** Espionage / Spies / Military
** Crime / Mystery / Thriller A – M
** Crime / Mystery / Thriller N – Z
** Jim’s TOP Picks
- …complexity is in the data; all the Master Algorithm has to do is assimilate it…
- …those of us who aren’t machine-learning experts have no conceptual model of what a learner does.
- By knowing what learners optimize, we can make what we care about…
- Every transaction works on two levels: what it accomplishes for you and what it teaches the system you just interacted with. Being aware of this is the first step to a happy life in the twenty-first century.
- Learners learn to achieve the goals we set [for] them; they don’t get to change the goals.
- Most of all, we have to worry about what the Master Algorithm could do in the wrong hands
- He who controls the data controls the learner.
- Control of data and ownership of the models learned from it is what many of the twenty-first century’s battles will be about…
- …you also have an ethical duty to share data for the common good.
- Machine learning is what you get when the unreasonable effectiveness of mathematics meets the unreasonable effectiveness of data. Biology and sociology will never be as simple as physics, but the method by which we discover their truths can be.
— Pedro Domingos, THE MASTER ALGORITHM
Oh my goodness! Here’s another one!
I just got this one and what a trip it is!